Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Home Made Soft Box

So, I have been DYING for something like a shoot through umbrella, or a soft box, ANYTHING!!!!!
I was sick of having to deal with gross lighting because I couldn't diffuse it with much... We were supposed to go get a shoot through umbrella for my off-camera flash along with a synch chord since that isn't too expensive. Too bad we can't get to the mall at the current time. So I figured... while I was waiting I may as well make a substitute :)
This, is my master creation:

I cut out the bottom of the box and covered the opening with a sheet of white fabric.

I used a puzzle box, which was a bit challenging because
of the different sizes of the two box parts. But I used a
TON of duct tape, and it worked out :)

I lined the boxes before I put them together with aluminum foil to reflect the light out
of the box rather than have the cardboard absorbe it all. I also cut a hole so I could fit the flash inside.
(Issue is I can't figure out how to get it to stay on the flash without slipping down haha)
Ok, so I know it isn't exactly... beautiful. But it works!
See here:

Without the soft box.

With the soft box!
The difference makes me tear up :'). It's so much softer and nicer!
I think I'm in love...
Now for all my other wishes ;)




I thought I would update with a picture my friend took with her cell phone as I was taking her photo with my new "soft box"! 
Enjoy :P


Isn't it stunning? :)

2 comments:

  1. AHHH I love it!!! That's awesome. :) ... And that picture ... is fabulous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!!!
    :)
    I nearly cried when I saw the difference :')
    You tell that teacher of yours that is against flash that flash isn't evil if you know how to use it! :3

    ReplyDelete